This mentorship mini-series episode contains stories of mentorship with retired Navy SEAL, Thom Shea.
In this episode of Winning Through Culture, Tim Flanagan is joined by retired Navy SEAL and published author Thom Shea. Together they explore the mentor and mentee relationship and what it truly means to take on those equally important roles.
A mentee must show up authentically and humbly while accepting specific instructions from the mentor. The mentor is passing on a specific skill set to the mentee. At the heart of this relationship is the constant pursuit of inspiration in others. Seek out those mentors and mentees that move and inspire.
In order to be a successful mentee, one must first master what is going on inside. Mastering the inside equation is a necessary step to achieving goals within a mentor and mentee relationship. A mentee must also be “fully committed and not just mildly interested”. Time is one of the most valuable commodities that we have today. A mentor that is giving of their time should first be selective in taking on mentees, but must also make sure they are inspired in the process.
- One must be inspired in order to be a mentor
- Constantly seeking inspiration as a mentee
- A good mentee shows up authentically and remains trainable
- Mentees must state their case to a prospective mentor
- A mentee is responsible for their own inspiration
- Seeking an experienced mentor involves strategizing
- Full commitment on the part of the mentee is essential
- Master the inside equation first
- Related episode to “Constantly Seeking Inspiration”: Short Message About Ukraine Invasion | Greatest Hits | Retired Navy Seal Talks Culture
Books by Thom Shea:
Tune into Winning Through Culture on your preferred Podcast platform
About Winning Through Culture
In today’s ever-changing world, it is more important than ever for an entrepreneur to stay impactful and relevant.
That’s where Winning Through Culture comes in! This podcast will let you inside the dynamic minds of Tim Flanagan and Amanda Kramer to give you expertise, insight, and tips so that you can remain impactful and relevant.
With Tim and Amanda’s experience and desire to plant knowledge in the business leaders around them, we hope you will take this podcast into your everyday life as an upcoming entrepreneur.
This genuine content will provide you with opportunities, relationships, and a community to expand your personal and professional growth.
Let’s create a winning culture together!
Connect with Guest
- Thom Shea: LinkedIn
- Unbreakable Leadership
- Solving The Gap Podcast
- Unbreakable: A Navy Seal’s Way of Life
- Three Simple Things: Leading During Chaos
Connect with Us